CITY OF HERMISTON
REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS (RFQ)
Hermiston Parks, Recreation and Open Space (PROS) Planning & Analysis Submit no later than
April 19, 2019, 11:00am.
The City of Hermiston, Oregon is soliciting statements of qualifications from consultants or teams of consultants interested in the Parks, Recreation and Open Space (PROS) Plan Update. This project will complete major components necessary to update the City of Hermiston’s PROS Plan. In addition to typical PROS Plan elements, this project includes a feasibility study of school district recreation facilities, future planning and joint development potential.
This project will:
- Conduct and prepare a recreation demand study;
- Integrate the recent Hermiston Aquatics and Wellness Center (HAWC) feasibility study;
- Conduct and prepare a condition assessment report of major park assets such
- as sports fields, trails, outdoor restrooms and playgrounds;
- Assess the indoor and outdoor recreation facilities owned by the Hermiston School District;
- Prepare and implement a community outreach plan for the PROS Plan update;
- Assess the viability of a Parks and Recreation District associated with the development of the HAWC; and,
- Draft an updated PROS plan for City Council adoption.
The Parks, Recreation and Open Space Plan (PROS Plan) is a 20-year visioning document that will serve as a framework for the development of park and recreation facilities in Hermiston. It is required to be updated every six years to qualify the City for state and federal grants through the State of Oregon’s Parks Department. The current Parks Master Plan was adopted by the Hermiston City Council was adopted in 2007.
The City recently conducted a feasibility study regarding the development of the HAWC. This assessment included strategies to develop a 60,000sf community center, fitness, and indoor aquatics. This information should be reflected in the PROS Plan update.
The PROS Plan is used to assess our citizen's needs and prioritize recreation programs, park maintenance and facility capital needs with the Parks and Recreation Department's core mission and goals. It also includes a capital improvement project list and identifies projects that can qualify for state and federal grants. A statistically valid community survey is expected to be conducted and included in the PROS Plan.
Additional Project Components
Additional components to be included in this project include:
• A communication and public outreach plan and to assist with outreach for the
entire PROS Plan update process;
• A recreation demand study to analyze future demand for recreation services;
• A condition assessment of major park assets such as restrooms, trails, and
Scope of Work and Expected Deliverables
Task 1- Recreation Demand Study
Conduct and prepare a recreation demand study including:
• Summarize Hermiston’s recreation program offerings;
• Prepare user profiles for key recreation service areas;
• Complete demographic profile for the city and regional market ;
• Compile demographic information for in identified geographic sub-area linking them to user profiles for each recreation service;
• Assess demand for key recreation program areas;
• Review statistically valid community survey results; and,
• Prepare recreation demand study report.
Task 2 – Current City Facility Assessment
Conduct and prepare an assessment of major outdoor recreation assets
Assess and rate the condition of park amenities that may include outdoor
restrooms, play equipment, shelters, hard courts, and grass/dirt play fields;
Assess the current level of service for parks, open space and trails and identify the future demand and location for level of service expansion.
Identify and scope out needed repair and replacement projects to improve the
lowest rated assets;
Provide order of magnitude cost estimates for repair/replacement projects;
Prepare major outdoor asset condition assessment report.
Task 3 – Current School District Outdoor Facility Assessment
Conduct and prepare an assessment of major outdoor recreation assets owned by the Hermiston School District including:
• Assess and rate the condition of park amenities that may include outdoor restrooms, play equipment, shelters, hard courts, and grass/dirt play fields;
• Identify and scope out needed repair and replacement projects to improve the lowest rated assets;
• Provide order of magnitude cost estimates for repair/replacement projects; and,
• Prepare major outdoor asset condition assessment report.
Task 4 – Park and Recreation District Feasibility Study
- Conduct and prepare an assessment related to the creation of a Parks and Recreation District to develop and operate the HAWC:
- Asses the school district boundary as a possible boundary for a Park and Recreation District;
- Determine the tax rate associated with the development of a $30M construction project;
- Assess the level of voter support for the development of a Parks and Recreation District;
- Prepare major outdoor asset condition assessment report.
Task 5 – Capital Improvement Plan
Based on the needs assessment and available facilities owned by the City and the School District, develop a 20 year Capital Improvement Plan that includes:
- The projected recreational needs of the City;
- The projected sports facility needs of the School District;
- Joint development opportunities;
- Funding sources targeted for facility development;
- Prepare a recreation Capital Improvement Plan.
Task 6 – PROS Plan Document Preparation
Draft specific written chapters of the PROS Plan document that relate to Tasks 1
through Task 5 including:
The Updated PROS Plan will include the following chapters:
Demographics / Projected Growth
P&R Inventory / School District
Level of Service (Facilities and Programs)
Hermiston Aquatic and Wellness Center
Capital Implementation Program
Anticipated Project Schedule
The following is the City of Hermiston’s anticipated schedule to adopt the PROS Plan:
Consultant selection process
Kick-off meeting with Consultant
Complete the facility inventory
May - June
Recreation demand study
June - July
Finish park asset assessments
PROS draft complete
The estimated budget for this project is approximately $75,000.
Submit one electronic (thumb drive or CD) and five original paper copies (no more than 18 pages, not including attachments) to:
RFQ PROS Plan 2019.
City of Hermiston
180 NE 2nd Street,
Hermiston OR 97838
no later than April 19, at 11:00am. Respondents assume the risk of the method of delivery chosen. The City assumes no responsibility for delays caused by any delivery service. Postmarking by the due date
will not substitute for actual receipt of qualifications. Proposals received after that time will be returned unopened. Statement of Qualifications shall not be delivered by facsimile transmission or other telecommunication or electronic means. Questions related to this project may be directed to Larry Fetter by email, lfetterhermiston.or.us by 5:00 p.m., April 12, 2019.
Statement of qualifications shall address the following:
Explain your understanding of the project, components and challenges.
Based on your understanding of the project, outline your teams approach to this project.
At a minimum your project approach should include a discussion of how the various
project components fit together as part of the PROS Plan and a general approach to
Provide an organization chart and summary of each team member’s roles and
responsibilities. Describe how the team will work together and with city staff to efficiently
complete the project.
Qualifications and References
Provide five professional references demonstrating your ability to perform the scope of work.