The City of Hermiston appreciates the significant contribution volunteers make to the community; whether it’s volunteering through the Parks and Recreation Department, the Library, or being a member of an advisory committee, WE TRULY THANK YOU!
Interested in volunteering?
Contact the Parks and Recreation Department at 541-667-5018 or at parksandrechermiston.or.us , or the Public Library at 541-567-2882 or libraryhermiston.or.us
Interested in getting involved in your local government and community?
Apply to be on one of our Committees, Boards, or Commissions by:
- Complete the Application for Standing Committee Vacancies (PDF) - Applications are also available at City Hall.
- Turn the application into: City Recorder Lilly Alarcon-Strong, CMC, at City Hall or by email at lalarcon-stronghermiston.or.us.
- Once your application is received, we’ll begin processing your paperwork and the Vacancy Review Board will review and/or interview applicants (usually takes about one month).
- The Vacancy Review Board will then make a recommendation to the City Council, at the following City Council meeting, to appoint an applicant to their respective committee/board/commission.
- If the recommendation is approved by the City Council, the appointment confirmation will be made at the following City Council meeting.
- To keep you informed, the applicant will receive communication throughout this process.
Positions Beginning when confirmed by City Council:
- Airport Advisory Committee- positions #1 and #2, ending October 31, 2023
- Parks and Recreation Committee- positions #7, ending October 31, 2023
Deadline to apply for Committees above- September 15, 2020 or until filled
- Eastern Oregon Trade and Event Center- position #1- ending June 30, 2021- Representing the Umatilla County Fair Board
- Hispanic Advisory Committee- positions #1 and #2- ending June 30, 2023
- Library Board- positions #1 and #2- ending June 30, 2024
- Faith-Based Advisory Committee- position #3- ending December 31, 2021
- Faith-Based Advisory Committee- position #5- ending December 31, 2022
- Eastern Oregon Trade and Event Center Committee- position- ending June 30, 2023
Deadline to apply: Open until filled
Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions:
Lilly Alarcon-Strong, CMC
PLEASE NOTE: All appointments to city committees, boards, and commissions shall be made in accordance with the ordinances and city charter.
Appointment preference shall be given to city residents and shall not be:
- Full-time employees of the city,
- Elected officials of the city,
- Appointed to more than two boards or commissions at a time, and
- Sell to the City or its committees, boards, and commissions over which the council has appointive powers and budget control either directly as a prime contractor or supplier, or indirectly as a first tier subcontractor or supplier. Sales shall be construed to mean sales, services or fees aggregating $7,500 or more in any one calendar year.